It’s Wanderlust Wednesday… time for me to go look at a place I want to visit, then write about it.
Today, I’m going to talk Hawaii.
I’ve wanted to go to Hawaii since I was a kid. I had a Hawaii Barbie, and I remember being captivated by the little “background scene” they do on the box to show you what the doll might look like if you weren’t living in a shitty concrete jungle.
Or is it asphalt?
Asphalt, concrete, none of it is Hawaii.
I have a list of foods I’d like to eat if I ever go (mostly plants, Hawaii is home to loads of rare plants), and I have a huge list of activities I’d like to do when I get there too.
Here’s some pictures of Hawaii:
Isn’t Hawaii an exciting place?? Apparently it was annexed by the USA in 1898, before that it was an independent island nation with its own monarchy. Before it was called Hawaii, it used to be called the Sandwich Islands, because Cook wanted to brownnose to the Earl of Sandwich. I prefer the name Hawaii. I would love to visit the islands. Here’s my rundown of the 5 things I want to do most in Hawaii:
- Climb Mauna Kea on The Big Island Hawai’i: Mauna Kea is the tallest mountain in the world from bottom to top – but most of it’s underwater, with only 4,205m (13,796 feet) of that is above sea level, so it doesn’t really rate for mountaineers. That wouldn’t stop me trekking up it – it’s higher than Ben Nevis (which I totes need to write about now I’ve climbed it… argh I have such a long to do list).
- Grab a cocktail in O’ahu: It’s the third largest island, but it’s home to two thirds of the population of Hawaii, and I’d love to sip a cocktail (virgin or otherwise) from one of those beach bars (I don’t want Tom Cruise to mix it, though I actually hear he’s quit tending bar and works as an actor now??? So I’m probably safe).
- Snorkeling in Maui: The second largest island is home to all sorts of fun sporting activities. I’ve always wanted to give snorkelling a go, and apparently Maui is a good place to do this.
- Surfing in Maui: Of course, no trip to Hawaii would be complete for me unless it included some surf dudes with attitude… wait, that was California, wasn’t it? I still want to go surfing in Hawaii. And that song is still pretty chillin’ all these years later:
- See some shell crafting in Niihau: This island has a population of only 170 – but apparently they’re the finest shell craftspeople in the world. I’d love to see them at work.
Have you ever been to Hawaii? What’s it like? Tell me all about it!