I searched and searched the WHOLE DAMN INTERNET and none of it had a recipe like this. I wanted a recipe using natural, vegan ingredients, so I could make my own conditioner bars. I also wanted something that didn’t require expensive or bulky equipment to make it.
I needed this recipe to make a bar, not a liquid, because I travel a lot and I have super dry curly hair, and I am very fed up of not being able to take conditioner on a plane unless it’s in my checked baggage or in a very tiny bottle.
When I didn’t find a vegan hair conditioner bar recipe for travel, I made my own.
This bar is super-nourishing for very dry hair, you really don’t need much of it. I like to use it by working it into the ends first, while my hair is wet, then moving up slowly until I get to my ears. Lastly, I put the rest onto my hair from my parting downwards in one or two swift strokes.
If you accidentally use too much, get a bit of your shampoo bar and rub it between your hands then wipe the lather onto your hair where there’s too much conditioner.
This conditioner is a little bit soft, I’ve played around with the recipe and every time I’ve tried to harden it, it just goes oilier but not harder. So I find the original bar cracks into three or four pieces after a few uses, but after that it seems pretty stable.
If you’re a fan of using a bit of coconut oil to moisturize your hair, you will LOVE this recipe as it incorporates coconut oil but makes a solid bar for travelling with!
You will need:
- A glass jug
- A spoon for mixing
- A soap mould
- 40g shea butter
- 30g olive wax
- 20g cocoa butter
- 20g coconut oil
- 10ml rice bran oil
- 10ml avocado oil
- 30 drops lavender oil (or other essential oil of your choice)
Method (no microwave… scroll for microwave method)
- In a saucepan, boil some water and place your glass jug in it.
- Add the cocoa butter and olive wax as these take the most heat to melt.
- When they have melted, add the rest of the ingredients except the lavender oil.
- Once the whole lot has melted, remove jug from saucepan, add lavender oil and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into your soap mould and leave it to harden. This takes about 2-3 hours.
- Pop it out of the mould. Wrap to keep moisture out and it’s ready to use!
- Put the cocoa butter and olive wax in the microwave and heat in 30-second bursts until they have melted.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except the lavender oil and heat in 20-second bursts until everything has melted.
- Add the lavender, pour into a mould and leave to harden for 2-3 hours.
- Pop out of mold. Wrap. Enjoy.
So there you have it, a 100% vegan conditioner bar recipe that requires nothing complicated or weird, no dodgy chemicals and you can even make it in a campervan. Let me know if you’ve used it!
If you want to learn more about making cosmetics, you might like my really long and comprehensive article on how to make soap!