My baby is huuuuge. He was born in the 98th percentile for length and has stayed there for the past 8 months. Vests… do not fit for very long. If this is your problem, you can either buy the next size up (which won’t fit around the tummy) or extend the ones you currently have. You can buy vest extenders but why buy what you can make?
So here’s the quick and easy way to make your own vest extenders:
- Get a vest that you don’t mind cutting up. I chose a plain white one from a 6-9-month multi-pack and I want to extend 9-12 month vests.
- Check the poppers on the donor vest will work with at least most of the other vests you have. I had one vest from the US store Carter’s that didn’t have the same poppers as all my other vests so that one couldn’t be cut up to make a vest extender.
- Cut across the fabric in a straight line.
- Check you have both sides facing opposite directions (mine in the picture below is wrong although this will still fasten).
- Sew together using a good stitch such as blanket stitch or use a sewing machine.
Simple! Have you any tips for tall babies?