I love stuffed peppers! They’re such an easy way to get more vegetables into your diet and this recipe is super-healthy. This was an experiment in changing things up, because I usually make stuffed peppers with rice, but today I wanted something different, so I filled my peppers with a taco-style filling of soy mince (TVP), sweetcorn and salsa, and topped with my vegan no-blend guacamole but you could also add grated vegan cheese if that’s your thing (or if you have any… I don’t, because my local Sainsbury’s has mysteriously stopped selling all vegan cheese since the lockdown began). This recipe is also perfect for when you are craving tacos but don’t have any taco shells.
And finally, top with my easy no-blend avocado:
- 2 bell peppers
- Half a cup of dried TVP (soy mince)
- Half a cup of sweetcorn
- A pinch of cilantro (leaf coriander)
- A pinch (or three) of garlic
- A big dollop of salsa (you can substitute this for some chopped tomatoes and a teaspoon or two of Piri Piri sauce or a teaspoon of any other hot sauce if you don’t have salsa)
- A teaspoon of Vegemite (or another yeast extract)
- Cut the bell peppers in half and remove the seeds.
- Reconstitute the TVP with boiling water and add the Vegemite, garlic and cilantro. Mix thoroughly to avoid any Vegemite lumps and leave the mixture to sit for 10 minutes to absorb the hot water fully.
- Drain off the excess water from the TVP and mix with the sweetcorn.
- Put the TVP and sweetcorn mixture into the halves of the bell peppers, taking care not to knock them over. If you have peppers that won’t lie very well in the oven, balance them carefully against each other for support.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes in a fan oven at 180 degrees/gas mark 6.
- Serve with chilled guacamole and salsa.
What’s your favourite thing to put in stuffed peppers? Let me know in the comments!